Update your outdoor living space consider adding a sitooterie (sih-TOO-ter-ee). This fun-to-say word originated in Scotland where these structures are found in yards and landscapes across the country. Scots use sitooteries to “sit oot” (sit out), as they say in that distinctive Scottish accent, to enjoy a bit of quiet time and relax comfortably away from the hubbub of a busy home.
More to know about a sitooterie:
- A small outdoor seating area designated for relaxation and socializing.
- Can be outdoor rooms or structures, such as patios, gazebos, conservatories, or pergolas, where people sit and chat or simply enjoy the outdoors.
- Often built of wood or stone.
- Some sitooteries are simple, while others can be well-appointed, with walls, windows, and storage.
- You can use a pre-made pergola as the base of a sitooterie, or a gazebo can work as a sitooterie structure.
- A perfect gathering space with friends and family for food, drinks, and plenty of conversation.
- A fireplace or firepit is a nice touch, adding to the naturally welcoming environment.
- If space is limited, it can be a comfortable bench or lounge chair set apart from your main home, since the point of a sitooterie is to have a place to go to that can offer a feeling of calm.