HOME DESIGN CHAT WITH NANCY
Nancy’s guest this week is Jan Rutgers, a professional kitchen designer with more than 25 years experience. Jan is the founder of Vestabul School of Design where she educates and mentors people passionate about the Kitchen Design Industry.
Our topic is Universal Design and how important it is for everyone to use the concept and ideas in their home so aging in place becomes second nature.
What is Universal Design and how useful is it to everyone?
Design for your lifetime, not just your prime time.
Design so that most people can use the space regardless of their ability or their size
Accommodates multi-generations living in the same house.
Design that allows people to safely use the space and comfortably age in place.
Top 6 Universal Design Concepts for Kitchen design:
- Concentrate on the work triangle
- Plan long expanses of connected countertop
- Provide a variety of countertop heights
- Include flexible, layered lighting
- Plan kitchen color schemes in lighter finishes
- Include accessible storage
This podcast sponsored by Premier Lighting
September 30, 2020
email questions to Nancy@NancyHugo.com