HOME DESIGN CHAT WITH NANCY
If you’re planning on undertaking a full-on kitchen remodel, the last thing you want to do is pick a trend that is outdated or overdone. Jan Rutgers, founder of Vestabul School of Design, is back with Nancy this week. They chatted about the trends to avoid and alternative suggestions to help your design choices withstand the tests of time.
CABINETRY PAINTED DARK COLORS
- Dings, bumps, and scratches from everyday use can be more apparent on a darker surface, leading them to be one kitchen trend to avoid.
- IT wears very quickly, requiring routine touch-ups.
MONOCHROME COLOR SCHEMES
- White continues to be on-trend through 2021, but it can be overdone.
- White on white on white is boring.
BULKY SOFFITS AND KITCHEN DESKS
- Soffits can make a kitchen look crowded or dated.
- Get rid of soffits that aren’t necessary.
- Avoid is adding a desk area in your kitchen.
SPECKLED GRANITE COUNTERTOPS
- Speckled granite countertops are not as appealing anymore; too busy
- Eased edge or bevels edge are cleaner looking than bullnose edges
- Black stainless are becoming popular. Nancy & Jan agree that Stainless Steel will always be seen in the majority of kitchens.
- Stainless is easy to clean if the right product is used.
- Might be on its way out according to some designers, but Nancy & Jan agree that it’s here to stay.
Listen to Nancy’s other podcast: Hugo Floss
Topics include everything BUT design.