As of August 1, 2023, Americans will only be able to purchase LED lights from retailers across the nation as an official ban on incandescent lightbulbs.
- It won’t be illegal to own incandescent light bulbs, it will be illegal for stores to sell them and companies to manufacture them.
- The government announced a ban on the manufacturing and selling of incandescent bulbs, saying it will help Americans save money and help the environment.
- LED or compact fluorescent light bulbs will take the place of incandescent bulbs.
- The Department of Energy says LED lights provide more light using 75% less energy and last 25 times longer than incandescent light bulbs.
- LED lights are estimated to save families about $100 per year.