HOME DESIGN CHAT WITH NANCY
Putting the finishing touches on your design project can either make it or break it! Knowing the right size and shape of the chandelier, and more importantly, how high to hang the fixture is something not everyone is familiar with. Jem Funk, interior designer and lighting designer, is the perfect guest to give tips on choosing light fixtures. Jem has been with us on several occasions and always shares her knowledge with us.
These podcasts are meant to share information but, as always, Jem and Nancy recommend working with a professional on your projects.
- ASSESS LIVING ROOM LIGHT DIMENSIONS
- A simple light sizing calculation can prove a useful guide to scaling a pendant light to a living room or another space such as a bedroom.
- Measure the length and width of the room in feet and add the two figures together.
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE LIGHT OVER A DINING TABLE
- A light like a chandelier or modern statement pendant that’s one half to two thirds the width of the table below in diameter will be large enough to draw the eye, but won’t verge into overpowering territory.
- With light sizing, bear in mind that the height at which the light is hung is important.
- SIZE LIGHTING TO A KITCHEN ISLAND
- Rather than a single large light, hang a series over an island or a dining table.
- Smaller multiple pendants can work well in a kitchen or dining area.
- FACTOR IN LIGHTING SHAPE
- ‘A globe-shaped pendant looks great when oversized.
- Round or tiered design has some height as well as width, a pendant light could have appreciable scale width-wise, but be of a relatively modest height.
- TAKE MATERIALS INTO ACCOUNT
- Glass or wicker pendants can be bigger as there is a transparency to the fitting but usually pendants are constructed of a combination of materials.
- It is important to check the dimmability of any pendant you purchase. Some LEDs are embedded so this is key, or if you can add your own bulbs you have more control.
Topics include everything BUT design.