HOME DESIGN CHAT WITH NANCY
One of the greatest challenges for a kitchen designer is to create a design that the customer appreciates aesthetically and simultaneously provides them with a functionally well designed kitchen. It’s equally difficult to just not make any mistakes. And sadly, that’s something very few kitchen designers can actually accomplish.
Paul McAlary, president of Main Line Kitchen Design in Bala Cynwyd, Pa. chats with Nancy about safety in kitchen design.
In the last few years, Paul said he has yet to pick up a kitchen trade magazine without a featured kitchen on either its front or back cover having major mistakes. Often they possess one of the possibly fatal design flaws listed below.
- Wall cabinet, spice pull out or an appliance garage too close to the cooktop or range too close to the window
- Range or cooktop on the end of the run
- A range next to the exterior kitchen door
- Microwaves set too high
- Wall cabinets extending out past countertop
- Placing cabinets with moldings approaching but not reaching the ceiling
- Today’s powerful hoods coupled with tightly sealed energy efficient homes
- GFI outlets too close to the stainless steel sink
This podcast sponsored by